Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Friday, May 04, 2012

The Amazing, Incredible Shrink-O-Ray

So, every time I got to write a post, my mind goes blank. It's not that I haven't had anything to write, but that I most often have the posts form in my head when I'm out and about with Kio and then by the time I sit down to write I suddenly feel uninspired. I've got a fair bit that I'll be writing about in the next bit, but for today I wanted to share some news on the health front.

Last summer I decided that in order to help myself lose weight and find that healthier trimmer me that I know has been in there somewhere (I saw her the year of my wedding), I needed a goal. So I decided to train for a 10Km run that was happening on my birthday in Sept of 2011. It gave me 2 months to train and I was already back into running at that point.

Things were going really well and I was able to run over 3km straight. My goal was to run a total of 5km and walk the rest, hopefully doing the 10km in under 90 minutes.

Then I sprained my ankle. Damn! It wasn't too bad, but then again I was I couldn't walk much for 2 weeks and I was also trying to keep up with a toddler. Four weeks later, I rolled my already weak ankle right outside the hospital and ended up in a tension sock for a bit. I was out of commission.

But overall I was fairly healthy and we had been eating alright. Christmas wasn't a huge jump in weight considering there were no events for us to attend and it was a quiet meal, just the three of us.

Fast forward to April 26th, when I decided to jump on the scale after a couple of weeks had passed since I recorded my lowest weight since after I got married.

Weight Loss Stats:

Total lbs lost since July 2011: 8.8 kgs (19.4lbs)

BMI change: 29.4 (obese) to 25.95 (25 is the boundary into the 'normal' zone)

Waist shrinkage: 5.5 inches

Hip shrinkage: 7 inches


UK Clothing sizes are different than North American. I thought they were two sizes different, but it turns out they are only one. Am I complaining that I've lost 2 sizes? Nope!

I'm not hung up on numbers at all. I know what a healthy body weight/shape is for me and the max I can weigh without my fibro bugging me,

And it has been bothering me lately. I was aching even at the point that I weighed myself. However, it has passed and I'm more or less good right now.

All I need to to is really focus on some strength training and make sure my muscles are all strong, and we'll have this whole thing made!

The biggest surprise (aside from the weight change) was trying on clothes at the GAP (shapes I can actually wear thank you) and realizing just how much my body has changed for the better.

I actually got a little teary. No joke.

Though, on the flip side, losing weight is really expensive… on my wardrobe. My clothes hang off me…

5 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Congratulations! Seeing results after a lot of hard work is really rewarding - and being healthy is always good!

AnotherDreamer said...

That is awesome progress! Kudos to you!

Jamie said...

Congratulations!! I am so proud of you!! Weight loss is tough - it's so slow going at times when there are so many temptations on every corner. Not to mention living with a toddler - I find myself snacking all day because I don't want to 'waste' what he didn't finish.

Seven inches off your hips - WOW!! That gives me so much inspiration!!

Elizabeth :: Bébé Suisse said...

That's not too bad a problem to have - pre-weight-loss clothes hanging off you ... good work!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Awesome! I'm so impressed!