Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Show and Tell: Mad Creative Wedding Endeavours

So I thought for this week's Show and Tell I'd show you all just how obsessive my creative compulsions can be...

I made my own wedding invitations.

Yes, that's right, 60 some odd handmade invites. I had the printed parts done at a print house for a great price. The green cover was made from art paper and cut out carefully using exacto knives and a template I made. I had a friend come over to help me one day. She now exclaims to everyone that although she thought the invites were exquisite, she would never make her own. I also know that if she ever did change her mind, I would be the first person she called to help. Ah, reciprocity.

Suffice to say, I could have used a kit and it would have cost less. But I had this design in my head and didn't see anything else I liked nearly as much that I could afford. These invites are alot like my wedding- elegant, dramatic and creative.




I used a paper punch on the flap of the envelope. The green of the invite shows through. On the front, I hand wrote the addresses with a calligraphy pen.

The front cover and what you see when you open it...

The package: A black piece of paper was glued to the inside cover. Two holes were punched through the invite and the cover and tied with organza ribbon.
The right side is actually one side cut at an angle with funky scissors and then glued along the bottom to create a pocket. The RSVP and envelope are tucked in the pocket along with a strip with our wedding website printed on it.
Our RSVP card.
Despite the work involved, I'm very proud of my creation and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Now hop over to Mel's and check out what sparks of creativity are flying in the classroom...

23 comments:

Rebecca Woodhead said...

You know I did the exact same thing when I got married. It took AGES but it made it much more personal - not to mention cheaper.

Rebecca
http://frombrain2bookshelf.blogspot.com

Dave said...

I still have the invitation... not that I ever actually RSVP'd for it...

Where IS that darn emcee??

Anonymous said...

Wow...wow.
I am uber-impressed.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I think it simply made your wedding ten times more special. What a gorgeous invite.

AnotherDreamer said...

That is a lovely invite! So cool. I am in awe!

For mine I just bought one of those kits at Walmart and printed my own, lol.

JuliaS said...

Wow! Really nice! I really like them.

I didn't make ours, but I hand addressed each one in calligraphy. Talk about writer's cramp!

I like that you put some of yourself and your own creativity into it. I think that is what can make something really special. :0)

Kristin said...

Wow, wow, wow...it is stunning!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful. I made wedding invites for my cousin and may be doing it again for someone. It must be wedding day at Show and Tell. I also wrote about my wedding.

'Murgdan' said...

Wow! Those are beautiful! I did my own too...but they weren't nearly as pretty.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Those are gorgeous! I also did our wedding invitations, but nothing that stunning. The one thing I loved about ours was a graphic a friend designed of two cartoony goldfish kissing. (we went for whimsy rather than elegance... I could never pull off an elegant event... lol)

Jamie said...

How beautiful! I am so envious of your talents.

I am not a creative person and as I sit here, surrounded by paint chips trying to decide what color to paint my living room, it is even more painfully obvious than usual.

You should be so proud!

Liv said...

I love your wedding invitations. Definitely worth it. Hey if only I lived in your neck of the woods, I would have gladly have been your cheap labor!

Hope all is well with you and your pregnancy. I'm sending you many hugs as you remember the anniversary of your loss this month,

Photogrl said...

Love them! How beautiful!

Beautiful Mess said...

Those are beautiful! You did an amazing job. I would have wanted to keep it and frame it if I had gotten an invitation like that in the mail.

..al said...

Wow! I am really impressed...the invitations came out real nice, and the fact that they were handmade make them even more valuable....Too good!

Coffeegrljapan said...

Awesome. Beautiful and personal...I'm so impressed :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was a lot of work! We ordered ours the old fashioned way, and then I made my mom and fiance do all the addressing...how's that for outsourcing?

Eve

Cara said...

Wow! That is just gorgeous. I love the "sadly declines", what a great line!

Creativty rocks!

one-hit_wonder said...

Very pretty! I also made my own, but I like yours better.

oklaln86 said...

I wish I would have been that creative with mine! Kinkos designed mine :)

Carrie said...

Gorgeous! I love the punch in the back- so elegant.

Carrie

m said...

I don't think that's ocd at ALL - simply pretty.

Ali said...

..they are wonderful I really admire you for taking the time and putting so much of yourself into your invites :-)

I wish I was this creative well done

Ali xX